Friday, January 18, 2013

Finished Project: Red Gingham Dress


Guys. Guys. GUYS. (Ladies.)

I made this dress. Not only did I start with fabric and turn it into a garment-- oh no. I made the pattern. I took my measurements and did math to them and now I can make obsessively personalized clothing. 

I'm overusing italics, but even that doesn't convey how excited this makes me. 



I've been struggling with Jack Handford's Professional Patternmaking for Designers for a couple months. The process to making your own patterns is surprisingly simple. You:

  1.  Take some detailed measurements, 
  2. Draw your pattern according to the book's directions,
  3. and fiddle with your pattern until 
    • It fits, or
    • The sun explodes and the earth disintegrates into a pile of ash. (Whichever comes first. It was a near thing for me.)
If you've ever tried to develop your own pattern blocks, you'll know that my frock here is certainly not Vionnet-level brilliance. Creative patterning this ain't. The print doesn't match very well. The sleeves still need some rotating and the bodice darts are crying to be fixed.

But I couldn't've dreamt of doing anything like this a year ago. I put the zip into the lined bodice without swearing once. I wore it out of the house. 


This is visible progress and encouragement to keep going. Hooray!

9 comments:

  1. Great post which made me laugh a lot, great dress and great styling (I love red and turquoise - even if I can barely spell the latter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red and turquoise is one of my favorite combinations. Something about the combo seems ineffably retro!

      Delete
  2. AWESOME job on the dress! Nice to see you around again, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be back! I can't believe I've been absent so long! Never again, I (semi-)promise!

      Delete
  3. WOW! Great effort on both the pattern making and the sewing - I take my hat off to you for such a great outcome...clever girl...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you, Judith! The sewing probably doesn't deserve that much praise: I was so excited that I forgot to finish the seams on the pocket bags. I was losing everything out that hole all day!

      Delete
  4. Incredible!! Massive kudos to you- I don't know if I'd have the patience to make my own pattern! Well done! It's very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I wasn't happy with the fit the other day, and I was legitimately thinking, "man, remember that shirt pattern Johanna worked on altering for ages, last year? I wish I could do THAT." Between that and the amazing stuff you've been knitting, you seem Patience personified!

      Delete
  5. Dude, that is so dang cute. Well done you! Agreed with Miriana--the turquoise double-makes it.

    ReplyDelete